Monday, April 2, 2012

Runner profile

I filled this out 2 and 1/2 years (Sept, 2009) ago for an article in Delaware Examiner (on online publication) which never  appeared.  But it gives some basic info about me and some of my thoughts.  BTW, at the marathon I mention, I did qualify for Boston (which I'm doing in two weeks), but in 4:13, not under 4:10.  It might be my last time there.


Name: Dave McCorquodale
Age and occupation: 65 ; retired from Postal Service, but work a bit for my son's business, the Delaware Rock Gym.
City/State: Wilmington, Delaware

How long have you been running? Almost 18 years, starting at age 48.
How many miles per week (on average) do you run? 29.5 in 2009
Why did you start running? At age 39 I quit smoking. Over the next nine years, I had gained weight and with my long, thin build, a belly did not look good. I actually lost the weight the month before I started running, by restricting my diet. But then I wanted to do something to increase my physical activity and keep the weight off.
What is your biggest inspiration/reason to run? In the beginning it was fitness and health. I know I've got that. Now, on top of those reasons is the rush of competing in marathons and other races. The way I see it, the rest of the running is preparation for that.
Complete this sentence: Running rocks because… it's good for you physically, mentally and spiritually.

To you, what is the most difficult thing about running? For most runners, it's getting out the door. But running is a habit for me. My most difficult part is the first few miles (up to four) before I really feel like everything is ready to work. Since some days are only short runs, the entire run is a struggle, but I know better days are ahead.
When you have a running struggle, how do you overcome it? Keep going. And to continue the last answer – if it's tough today, it will be easier on another day.
What is your biggest inspiration/reason to run? My biggest inspiration(s) are older runners. I'm already 65, so when I say older, I mean older than me. They show me what continues to be possible with running as I age.

What has been your favorite race? This is tough to answer because I've run so many races and had so many experiences. Perhaps a follow-up question: Favorite racing venue, best racing time, best experience, best beer.
Where is your favorite local place to run? For day to day runs – Delcastle Recreation Area, which is a half mile from my house. For long runs – White Clay Creek State Park
What is your next race or running goal? Charm City 20 Miler on Sept. 5 with goal of running about 9:15-9:20 pace Next marathon – Mohawk Hudson River Marathon, ending in Albany, NY. with goal of running under 4:10 (BQ for my age is 4:15).
How has running changed you or what has it taught you? Obviously it has helped me maintain a good level of fitness, compared to other people my age. But more than that, it helped me come out of a psychological shell I had gone into over the first twenty-five years of my adult life. Once I started racing, after spending two years as a fitness jogger, I met and became friendly with hundreds of people. A few of them are my best friends now. Basically, I didn't have any “best friends” before running. Through running, I became active in Pike Creek Valley Running Club. I brought my writing an editing skills out of mothballs and became the editor of the PCVRC Pacer, our newsletter.. Nowdays, it's a E-Bulletin. All of that set the scene for me to get re-involved in anti-war activities and the Green Party of the United States.

What is your favorite pre-race food/meal? Nothing is particular. It's more what I've learned NOT TO EAT before a big race – No big salads , or lots of vegetables or fruits. definitely no chili!
If you listen to music while running, what is your favorite song to run to? Iused to listen to music when I first started running as that fitness jogger. Now I find that I don't need it. Back then, to get really pumped up, I'd listen to the best of AC/DC. Running Down a Dream by Tom Petty is good. A song I listen to while driving that, to me, is about the mood running can put one in when everything is right is Hypnotized by Fleetwood Mac (when Bob Welch was the singer).
What is your favorite running quote? From Hypnotized: “ 'Cause what matters most is the feeling you get when you hypnotized”
What is your favorite running shoe? Brands don't matter to me. My favorite shoe is last season's model , which I can get for cheap online.
What one thing would you never run without? Cap or visor with brim. To protect my eyes from glare; to keep rain off my glasses; and, occasionally to cushion my skull when, at 6'5”, I run into branches others don't.
Weirdest thing you ever found while running: This isn't exactly weird, but once while running on trail near White Clay Creek, I flushed out a duck and several ducklings. They all ran ahead of me. the mother started to go into the bushes, but then realized the babies were still exposed. So she came back out and kept running ahead until all the little ones had hidden. Then she ducked off the trail. I was awestruck by the instinctive protectiveness of that duck
Words of wisdom for other runners: The pounding of running by itself should not cause injuries. But running can exacerbate existing conditions, such as physical abnormalities, like leg length discrepancies, or old sports injuries. I started just of be in space. then to run a five mile race; then ten; then a half marathon; then a full marathon. Don't jump into running full bore. Proceed incrementally.

Anything else you‘d like to share? Oh, there's so much I want to share. I want to promote running as a healthy lifestyle. Human beings are born to run. Kids do it naturally. But modern life has weakened and softened many adults. Running can help reverse that trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment